Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Life While In Storage


Our life is in storage..... so I am rotating it!

Every time I head to the shed for work, or to unpack stock, I make sure I come back with a box labelled 'boys'. I don't want to get to the big 'shed unpacking stage', in the distant future sometime, and find that my boys have grown out of their belongings.

Yesterday it was little one's bookshelf contents. We unpacked the box in the garage, put those treasures we wanted to keep (or more melodramatically those that "I would die" without - although he was doing fine until he saw them all) in a little pile to take upstairs to find a space for, and the others in a pile for our cousins or 'the poor little children' (lifeline).

We had not seen this one particular box for a few years. It was full of kindy books and early childhood memories. I couldn't believe the books my boy chose to keep. You could see his little brain ticking over, remembering why each book was special to him and why he was drawn to it. I thought to myself, 'surely he can't remember when I read that one to him, he was 12 months old'... but yep, something triggered in the memory banks and the book found it's way onto the keepsake pile.

You don't think they remember too far back to baby days but they do. Every experience is layered with another and then another and they become who they are because of every story you read to them, every cuddle you give them.


We sat reading all about Kipper, Tiger and 'Sock Thing' last night, giggling away. Even Master 13 stopped his homework to snuggle up with us, exclaiming, "oh I remember that"! They remember every moment you have spent with them, even if it is buried in the deep recesses of their growing, busy brains. It's a comforting thought..... to know that every moment matters and shapes who they become.

Time moves so fast. Life is so fleeting. Read more 'Kipper' I say!
Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...