Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

gallery wall in the process

For some reason, when it comes to gallery walls, I always go matchy match. I can't break away from it. But, I have decided to branch out and do an eclectic gallery wall in my living room. Here is my first piece. Let me show you.....

I bought this at the salvation army for $2. I liked that it was large and oval. I knew that I could always find rectange frames and this round shape would mix things up a bit. Look how awful the print is. What was funny is the adorable old man that rang me up said, "Oh wow. What a beautiful picture! Where are you going to hang it?" I told him I was going to hang it in my living room. What I didn't tell him was that I was going to completely dismantle the whole thing and paint it. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder?? :) I then purchased this letter G from Joann's fabrics. It was also $2. They have weekly coupons you can print out just like Michael's does. I knew I wanted the letter G up there somewhere in the mix of prints. I just didn't know where. I hung all of my frames up and the "G" on it's own just didn't fit with all of my other frames. I tried to balance it out by hanging a plate on the other side and then it was too much to look at. Soooooooo, I had an idea that I could actually put the letter G inside the oval frame. I actually already had a picture to put in there, but I decided to put the G in there instead.

I needed some fabric modge podge. (which I already had)
I then went back to Joann's fabric and picked up some burlap fabric. It was $3.99 a yard, but I only need a 1/2 a yard, so yes, that put me at $2 again. I turned the backing over and I brushed fabric modge podge everywhere. Then I put the burlap on and smoothed it down. Then as you can see the excess......I cut around it.
I spray painted both the frame and the G in Rustoleum's matte black. (again, already had that. I think I have about every color imaginable of spray paint in my garage.)
I glued the G on the front. I tried a really heavy duty glue that I typically use on everything, but nothing was working. You need fabric glue. I had that too, and it worked like a charm.
The end result:
I liked the burlap because my living room has lots of natural objects with browns and blues. I originally was going to do the background in a really fun fabric and do the frame and the letter in white, but the burlap fits the room. These are fun because the possiblities are endless. You could put this in a child's room with their initials, or with your last name in an entry way? At Joann's, they also have really small letters too so you could spell out a name.


total cost: $6

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...