Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Favourite Transoms

Original source unknown - please notify me if known.

I spent yesterday tidying up my computer files. Oh, the things I found! I got very side tracked... and ended up obsessing over pictures of transoms and moldings for practically the whole afternoon. I have always loved this (rather blurred) image above as I love the gentle curve in the transom lights....... so different. I can't seem to find the original source of this image so if you know please let me know.

According to Wikipedia, in architecture, a 'transom' is a transverse beam or bar in a frame, or a crosspiece separating a door or doorway from a window or 'fanlight' above it. 'Transom' is also the customary U.S word used for a 'transom light', the window over this crosspiece. In Britain, the transom above a door is usually referred to as a 'fanlight', irrespective of it's shape. In Australia we use both terms... depending on whether we are feeling particularly British or not at the time. 'Fanlight' is most often the lingo used with reference to our traditional Australian colonial architecture.

The original inspiration for the Great Room double-hung windows above window seats, next to a stone fireplace... with voluminous curtains thrown in for good measrure! 

Yep, beautiful skirtings, architraves, cornices, moldings and door and window assemblies set my heart a flutter. I think if you get the basics right and create a beautiful canvas with these features, when you build or renovate, you really can't go wrong and you set the foundations for a beautiful, timeless aesthetic.


This is rather glorious I say. Love the floors too.


Heartstopping. Oh the symmetry.


An oldie but a goodie. 
This was the original inspiration for me for 'The House' and all it's transoms, windows and door assemblies.


Original inspiration from the movie 'Something's Gotta Give'... for the west elevation of the Great Room.... the corner housing the piano and bookshelves.


... and my version. 
Remember the beam? Now that's going back.


The back assemblies at 'The House'. Another set ran off the dining room... so they were a matching pair right across the back of the place....I'm a sucker for symmetry. The secret to affording nice joinery? .... go for the 'stock' assemblies wherever you can. Custom-made totally blow the budget. I changed my plans around over and over so I could fit in stock windows and doors wherever I could. 


.... and I couldn't resist.....the 'transom-ed' front door.

Am I allowed to critique my own work? Next time, I will leave more 'freeboard' on the right side of the front door assembly. See how it sits flush in the corner? I had to do that to fit in a 'stock' door (eye on the budget) and I didn't want to consequently widen the hall any more (it was already 1.5m wide) and then throw out all the dimensions of all the other rooms. Just sayin'.

Week Two of term already! Only 8 weeks to go and the year is all over.... well the school year anyway.
Ok, now for the morning rush!

Happy Monday!
Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...