Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, October 24, 2011

Makeover Monday: A Bench and Burlap Meet


Another treasure waiting in my basement for me to makeover. I won't even tell you how long this one has been sitting down there!

I got this small bench at a garage sale for just a few dollars. It had 3 layers of outdated, stinky fabric tacked to the top. Awhile back I started on it but as you can tell I got frustrated with the many tacks and let it sit for quite some time...


Here's a view of some of the 'pretty' fabric. There was literally a 100 tacks holding down the fabric! It was quite the pain!


Once I finally removed all the fabric, I took a break! LOL
Then I cleaned all the wood down with Basic H2 to give it a good cleaning.

With the door removed from the bench, I cut some batting and burlap a little bigger than the size of the door.


It's easy to change out the fabric of an outdated chair or bench...just wrap the batting and fabric around the piece of wood and staple all away around with a heavy duty stapler.


So here's what it looks like when it's all wrapped and stapled. But I wasn't too fond of the exposed wood showing.


So I got some fabric from my stash and just cut it big enough to cover the 'hole' and then I tacked in a few upholstery tacks. 


When I was all done, then I screwed the door back on to the bench.


I wanted to create a simple pattern on the burlap using painter's tape. So easy. I don't measure, just eye ball it.


Then I just painted inside the lines with black craft paint. So easy, my 7 year old did most of it!


So besides the battle of removing all those tacks and fabric, my bench was an easy and fun makeover to do in no time!

I didn't even have to paint the actual bench. I loved the wood/burlap combo, so I left it. I did cover up some of the scratches with Old English Scratch Cover.


For a little extra touch I added some upholstery tacks on the ends for a more finished look.


Here's the inside of the door. I'm sure it won't be opened too much but the red homespun fabric adds a punch of color inside and does it's job with covering up the exposed wood.


Don't you love projects that take little work but with a big impact? I love my 'new' little bench and I love Makeover Mondays for pushing my procrastinated self into finishing all these projects sitting in my basement! :)


Linking up HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...