Pages

Subscribe:

Friday, October 7, 2011

Fall Friday: Halloween Treats


Happy FALL!

My boys LOVE Halloween! They love the dressing up, trick or treating and the big bag of treats at the end of their trip!

But this year is different. For health reasons, my boys are gluten and dairy free. Then on top of it, we chose not to feed our kids with yucky preservatives, additives, chemicals and dyes. So what can they eat?! Well lots of things! It's really not that bad! The big challenge is when we leave the house, we have to make sure we bring extra snacks or a sack lunch. Social outings can be a little tricky sometimes. We always have to pre-plan!

So with Halloween around the corner, we will have to be a little creative. My boys still want to go trick or treating. Yes, we will still come home with lots and lots of candy. Torture...well I hope not. On November 1st, we plan on going to a local dentist who takes your candy and gives you money per pound! Then that dentist donates the candy to the troops! So it's really a win win situation!

Before and after trick or treating, we plan on having our own celebration with some spooky treats and fun. The boys will still get candy, just purchased by mom and dad so we know what is safe for them to eat. You will be surprised that there is candy out there that doesn't have all that junk in them...besides sugar! The downside to this healthy candy is that it's probably double the price. But we're kind of used to that by now.

So here are a few ideas that I hope to use for our celebration in a few weeks. They are all easy and still fun for the kids!

A Spooky Table Setup
The donuts would be fun. I have a gluten free recipe OR if I get lazy, there are gluten free donuts in the freezer section at my local health food store! And I just love the pumpkin balloons and napkins/plates!


 Scary Sippers
Trader Joe's has some 'healthy' juice in boxes! These would be super easy to make!

 via pinterest at parents


Pumpkin Treats
Fun to find some treasures inside!


 Scary Cat Treat Pouch
The boys could even help me make these cute kitties. Just minus the dye filled candies.


Veggie Pumpkin
This would get my kids excited to eat their veggies!


Chocolate Mummies
Yes there are dairy free chocolate bars out there...and they're super yummy. Mummies might be a theme here. :) My oldest son wants to be a mummy this year.


Snack-o'-Lantern
Fruit added to inside of an orange. Green spoons for the stem. 


Veggie Skeleton
And just because, I had to add another veggie treat. How cool is this?!


Also on the menu will be Ghost Sandwiches. Sandwiches cut out like the shape of ghosts with raisin eyes and mouth.

So even though we are limited to what we can eat, we can still have a great time! I don't want my kids to feel "left out" if I can't help it!

Now Thanksgiving and Christmas to worry about. lol

Do you have food allergies or sensitivities at your house? How do you deal with Holidays and Celebrations?

And even if you don't have a limited diet at your house, I hope this post today gives you a few ideas to think about how to celebrate Halloween with a few healthy choices and maybe a few less pieces of candy. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...