Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, October 10, 2011

Makeover Monday: Black Cabinet


Happy Monday! And you know what that means, I have another makeover to share with you!

A great thing about this 31 day challenge is that it's forcing me to mark things off my list that have been on there forever. This project I'm sharing today has been waiting for it's makeover for quite sometime!

I bought this cabinet at an auction 2 years ago. I know gasp! It's been sitting in my basement for that long! I went back and forth on the color and maybe intimidated by the size. But I don't know why I was dragging my feet because it was actually quite easy to transform this weekend!


This cabinet is old. I always wanted one because my mom has one similar that she bought at an auction when I was little. I remember her removing the paint layer by layer in our garage...I think there were 7 layers if I remember right. She restored it to look like "new" old again.

So when I found this at an auction, I was lucky enough to get a good price for it. The son of the woman that owned it stopped me after I won the bid and told me how special that piece was to his family. They didn't have kitchen cupboards in the "old days" so they used this cabinet as their pantry and dishware storage. The son was in his 70's and he remembers it quite well when he was little. So it was great to get a little bit of history with the piece, it made it that more special!

So I thought maybe the cupboard would be around 75 years old. Then when I was redoing it over the weekend, I found this print under one of the drawers.

1850 T
J. Roberts
Sterling, Nebraska

Could this cabinet be from the 1850's??? I have no idea. I love finding things like this on old pieces. If my cabinet could talk, huh?!


Before I redid my cabinet, I wanted to make sure it was clean after all those years of storage and possible loose paint. So I washed all the surfaces in and out with Basic H2. It was quite dirty.

After much thought, I decided to paint my cabinet black. I love black furniture! It goes with everything and just classic. I sanded down the edges and then added MinWax Dark Walnut Stain to richin' up the piece.

I also gave the inside a fresh coat of white paint.


The cabinet has just wonderful details!




The handles before were painted brown, so I repainted with with a metal spray paint primer and then oil rubbed bronze-Both from Rustoleum.



The cabinet is in our family room in our basement. My intention is to store me and my hubby's childhood memories inside. We have several things in boxes that are just a shame to be put away. So this will be a nice space to display them. And there's lots of storage in the bottom as well!


Linking Up HERE

Thanks so much for stopping by!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...