Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Those School Lunches


Image Courtesy www.john.curtin.edu.au

Following on from your comments/emails requesting info on what I put in my boy's lunches, here's the drum.

Firstly, I was a Dietitian-Nutritionist in my previous life. A Paediatric Dietitian. Not much use to me now, building houses, flogging lights and such.... but no education is wasted I say.... even after five long, hard, technical years at Uni (including a Science degree thrown in for good measure). I have a wonderful knowledge base that comes in quite useful at times ... particularly during school science homework. Getting up into the higher grades, my big son now thinks I am a font of knowledge. It's easy to impress him at his age. The contents of PL365 Advance Hormonal Endocrinology and BC306 Animal Biochemistry would impress any knowledge thirsty 14 year old. That BC 306 was my only Biochemistry High Distinction.....ever.... I loved that subject... it was all vitamin biochemistry... it was what made me decide to do Dietietics. Just sayin'.

I digress. 


So, considering my 'long ago' background.... I send my boys off to school with a fair whack of nutrition....something not much different to the 'Oslo' lunch from the 1940's..... a variation on the wholemeal cheese and salad sandwich, fresh fruit and milk product of some sort. No magic ingredient there..... just a nice balance of complex carbohydrates, protein and fat.


\
Image Courtesy www.john.curtin.edu.au

Every day they get some sort of wholemeal/wholegrain sandwich, pita bread, or wrap. They love wraps. I fill them full of salad.... lettuce wrapped around tomato (so the whole thing doesn't go soggy), grated carrot, sprouts... with some cheese or ham. Little one gets some mayo on his and big son...taco sauce. Loves it!

I sit these wraps on the bottom of the esky/lunchbox, on the first of two icepacks I use to keep everything safe from food poisoning bugs. Always wary of the bugs.

Image Courtesy www.john.curtin.edu.au

Next?.. always a whole piece of fruit - apple/pear/banana/mandarine or fresh pineapple pieces.

Then a second serving of fruit in the form of an easy homemade fruit salad ....grapes/blueberries/strawberries/diced orange/kiwi fruit... whatever is in the bottom of the fridge and needs using up.

Image Courtesy vintagegoodness.blogspot.com

I always pack 2 serves of fruit, one for morning tea, one for lunch. I stay away from muesli bars, dried fruit, fruit straps or any other fruit bars as despite their 'health tags' they are full of sugar and tragic for beautiful developing teeth and lean active little bodies. 

Next - the milk product - either a fruit yoghurt or full cream UHT milk popper or both (my boys eat heaps, so it's often both). I use the little UHT milk poppers just in case little one is full.... he has been instructed to bring anything he doesn't eat home...one, so I can see what he likes and doesn't like and two, so I can salvage and reuse, say if it is the popper or whole apple or something that can't have spoiled during the day. Big one loves the Sanitarium UP and Go's so he gets them as a treat. I cannot fill that boy.

I use full cream milk products as my boys are growing and need the fat.

Image Courtesy today.msnbc.msn.com

Next the 'snacky' things. They vary daily but the staples are:
  • cherry tomatoes (especially the Perino ones from Coles)... my little one LOVES them.
  • carrot sticks with light cream cheese or salsa
  • cheese cubes/cheesestick/little tub of baby bocconchini - little tubs, my boys love opening cute little tubs... I make it fun.
  • ricecrackers/corn thins
  • homemade popcorn
  • home made something - banana muffins/the old staple jam drop/oat slice/anzac biscuits
Drinks - we don't do fruit juice - looking after their teeth and teaching them life long habits about not drinking kilojoules. Just water and milk. They need kilojoules to grow but I am teaching them the best sources of those kilojoules and the well known concept of 'empty calories' in junk foods that provide no nutrition.

Don't get me wrong, they eat junk. 'There is a time and a place' as they say... but their school lunches, to me, are vitally important to nourish them and teach them about making good food choices. They look around and compare their lunches to others.. what kid doesn't? They get it. Little one has expressed deep concern for one little tike who gets 4 packets of chips and a soft drink in his lunch box every day. The mind boggles. 

Big one does tuckshop on Guitar Ensemble days as he is out the door at 6.30am. He confesses to a treat or two... or three... but he does source the sushi or something 'wholemeal-ish' for his main feed. The brainwashing is working. He's honest. You let out the reigns and see if what you have taught them rubs off. It does, if you have been consistent. 

Oh and I forgot, the last thing I put in.... before the top icepack to keep it all frosty cold.... is an 'I Love You/I'm Proud Of You' note. Very important. Nourishes their hearts.

Happy Wednesday. It's raining today. Big time. I am heading up to a display village with a client to scheme her 'soon to be new home'! 

Photobucket
Addendum: Laura, over at 'Spotty Owl Designs', has some great school lunchbox links HERE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...