Pages

Subscribe:

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Art Display Board

I have been busy adding to the details of our kid/craft room. My hubby has been an excellent helper as well. He helped me a great deal with this project I'm going to share with you today.


We had a large art display board in our mudroom area. Well now since the current mudroom makeover, we needed to move it to another area of the room.


The downside of our new craft room is 2 cement walls. The 'perfect' spot for the peg board was on a cement wall of course. :) I wasn't too keen on drilling a bunch of holes in the wall and neither was my hubby. So we decided to adhere the peg board the the wall using 1x4's.

We figured out the placement of the pegboard and we placed 1x4 wood pieces around the perimeter and also a couple in the middle.


We used Power Grab Molding and Paneling Adhesive. It is great stuff!
We allowed the adhesive to dry overnight before we added the peg board.


Before we attached the peg board to the 1x4 boards, we added plastic clothespins to the holes. These clothespins are actually magnets that I found at Office Max. They already had a predrilled hole in the back. So it was easy to add a screw to thread through the holes.

These clothespins were also clear when I bought them. I spray painted them with a primer and then a textured black paint.

To attach to the back, we add small washers.
We could of easily used peg board hooks, but I loved the look and function of the clothespins better.


We attached the peg board to the 1x4's using screws.

Now we could of been done after this but I wanted to add some trim to cover up the edge of the 1x4's peaking through the sides.


I went to my local salvage center and found 24 feet of lovely thick old molding for only $5!


I didn't even have to paint it. I love the chippiness and crackle of the old paint. We attached the old molding directly on the cement wall using the same Adhesive above.

And I didn't even bother to fill in the corners with spackling. I love seeing the mitered corners to match the imperfection of the old wood trim.

So with a little team work, we have a wonderful diplay board ready to fill with our boys' art.

Did you see our oops? It doesn't bother me now...but imagine my disappointment when I brought this lovely wide trim home to realize we calculated enough room between the peg board and ceiling for thinner trim. And the 1x4's were already glued on the wall. LOL I had no intention for the trim to bud up against the ceiling like that. And yes, the trim is exactly 5 inches wide, just enough space to squeeze in there. :)

So keep that in mind when you are shopping for all your supplies to allow room for everything. I just fell in love that trim so much that I couldn't pass it up!

When I originally did this peg board a couple years or so ago, I originally got it unfinished at our local home improvement store. Stores carry many different sizes, I really liked the 4 foot x 4 foot size. I painted the whole piece red and then added the white stripes using painter's tape. I also stenciled my boys' initials and some stars on it as well. I then sanded it all down and then added MinWax dark walnut stain to richin' it up a bit.



 Our boys love arts and crafts (my 4 year finally caught the craft bug a couple months ago), so this space is going to be filled with creations and imagination for years to come.


Do you have a fun space to display your child's art?

Stay tuned for more craft room projects...

Kindra

Linking up HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...