Pages

Subscribe:

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mudroom Makeover

Do you remember our kid rec/craft room project?
We had a partly unfinished room in our basement that was used as my craft room when I did craft fairs. It then turned into a catch all room.

So we cleared it out.


I let my oldest son pick out the color. He picked 'vivid turquoise'. And he was so happy to help paint!


After we painted, we added a faux wood floor with peel and stick vinyl tiles.
And now I am finishing up the room with the details to make it complete.


This is a fairly big room. It's the first room we come into from our basement garage. So it was important to have a mudroom area in there as well.

Here is the before mudroom area.
We made a faux wall with old doors, that helped divide the room from my junky craft room area...but that didn't help sometimes because the catch all stuff was starting to overflow into the mudroom area. LOL


Above the bench we had a fun peg board that displayed our boy's art. I decided to move it to another area of the room that I will show later. I had another idea for this mudroom area. :)


Here is the mudroom today!
A much more fun and cheerful area to enter each day!

We took the faux door wall down. But I really wanted to keep a couple of the doors still in the room. I have a thing for old doors! And these doors I scored for around a $1 each from a family member. I got plenty on hand, that I don't know what to do with. But that's a good problem to have.


I thought they would make a great backdrop to the mudroom area.
They were at different heights so my hubby cut one down to make them 'match'. We had to remove the door knobs but made sure we kept the old hardware and hinges on them. They just don't make architecture like they used to. My hubby secured them on the wall making sure to screw into the studs in the wall.


When we made the door wall, I painted them a mustard color and I applied a dark walnut stain to give them an aged look. I think they really pop against my son's vivid turquoise.



The doors made it easy to hang hooks for all the coats, hats and bags.
I found the black hooks at Menards on sale for 89 cents each.



 
We also added hooks we already had on the side for easy key access by the garage door.


The black bench and cabinet I already had in the old mudroom.
The black bench is homemade that I bought at a craft open house a few summers ago for around $25.

A basket doesn't seem like it's complete unless it's labeled these days. :)
The tags were made from turquoise cardstock I had on hand. I cut them out, then added our initials to each basket with twine.
We have 2 K's in our family, so I gave my basket an 'M' for Mom. :)

The black cabinet was a $1 auction find a couple years ago. It was bright yellow!


I added beadboard paneling to the back of the cabinet and then painted it all red as a base color. Then I painted it black allowing some red peeking through. Then I added dark walnut stain (I love stain!). I found the baskets at Michael's for 1/2 off.

I added some new rugs to the area that I got for free with a rebate I had from Menards. So really for this makeover, I spent less than $7 for the hooks.

A fun area to our new room!

More projects for our craft/kid room to come. Stay tuned!

Linking up HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...