Pages

Subscribe:

Thursday, March 1, 2012

SPRING Blocks

Spring will be here before we know it!
 Here is an old guest post tutorial I did last year that I never shared here at At Home With K.

Today I'll be showing you how to make these fun spring blocks.


Supplies you will need:
scrap wood
scrapbook paper
Pencil
Scissors
Mod Podge
Old Brush or Foam Brush
Sandpaper
Paint
Stencils
Stencil Brush
Old English Scratch Remover-optional


First, you will need 6 small pieces of wood. They can be random sizes so don't worry about measuring. I used all leftover pieces of scrap wood I had.

Then get out your scrapbook paper. I used 3 different designs for my block set. You can use only one design or multiple designs. Whatever you like. Take a pencil and trace the sprapbook paper around the wood. It doesn't have to be perfect. Remember, no measuring. :) Then cut the paper where you traced.


Now we're ready to glue our paper down to the wood pieces. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge on the wood then apply the paper. Smooth down the paper to get all the air bubbles out.
**If you don't have Mod Podge on hand then I like to mix 50/50 water and school glue and use that instead.


When all the paper is glued down to each wood piece then stack some books on top to secure the paper to the wood. I wait about an hour before going to the next step.


After the glue seems dry, then it's time to stencil your letters. I do this very random. Just like the blocks, the letters will also be staggered. If you don't want to stencil letters, you can also use letter stickers. OR if you are lucky enough, you can use your Cricut or Silhouette machine to cut out some letters for you. I don't, so I'm sticking with my stencils.

After my stenciling is dry, I take my sandpaper and sand down the edges of the wood/paper. If you really like the distressed look then you can sand the entire scrapbook paper to give it a more worn look.

This is an extra step but you can add some distressing ink to the edges of the paper. I used Old English Furniture Scratch Cover to the edges.


An easy project to create for your home or a gift.

Create a set for each season or your Favorite Inspirational Word or your Child's Name...the ideas are endless.


Are you ready for spring?


Linking up HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...