Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Balance

So I went to the shed and unearthed the 'rock collection'

We have a rather major rule in this house. No computer games during the school week.

So weekends are a challenge... because computer games take over. I've even had to modify the rules to 'no more than an hour of computer games at a time on the weekends' or else my boys would sit there like zombies all day!!... to make up for the 'cruel deprivation' during the week. Honestly, I'm digging my heels in and sticking to this 'school week rule' until the end of their education. Computer games are like a drug for this generation.... oh and I can't believe I am even saying 'in my day', these days!

With homework, reading, soccer practice, piano and guitar practice (activities I am paying good money for).. they have a lot to do during the school week. Not to mention... chores! ... and just general 'having down time'... like god forbid.. running around on the grass and being boys (don't get me started on childhood obesity).

During the week they've even tried the old, "Mum, if we have done all our homework, reading, practice, chores, can we....? No, no, no, as they would rush through everything to get to the computer games at the end of it all. NO! Be creative, go run around, be bored for goodness sake.

So yesterday.... the peak of the weekend computer game frenzy..... we broke up the day (I resorted to the kitchen timer)....computer games, ripsticking down in the garage (with me looking on while sitting in a rather glamorous armchair destined for a styling job today... I received some rather strange looks from other residents!), computer games, soccer game on the grass, computer games, origami, computer games, piano practice, computer games, sudoku, computer games, studying rock collection and relearning all rock names!

In the end?....bedtime cuddles.... "thanks for a great weekend Mum".  Phew, that was hard work. Tell me I am not the only Mum in the world working on balance and fighting this computer game scourge that is taking over this generation? How do you do the 'balance' thing?

Photobucket

PS Hey photobucket, enough is enough....I want my signature back. Pretty please?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...