Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday, September 4, 2010

7 Quick Takes (Oops!) Saturday

So this should be 7 Quick Takes Friday, but today's Saturday. Oops.
  1. I. Love. Project. Runway. Years ago, I happened to catch a one-week-long marathon of Project Runway season 3. And this current season (season 8, on Lifetime) is the second I've been able to catch. The creation of garments and originality of each assignment just fascinates me-- the talent, innovation, pressure, and of course the reality-TV vibe. But reality TV for the sake of reality TV drives me bananas. Project Runway on the other hand actually promotes a craft, constitutes an actual competition (as opposed to, say, participating in Machiavellian mind games while starving on an island somewhere in skimpy clothes) and informs viewers about fashion and design. No one who knows me in real life would ever peg me as a fashion-forward person, and I'm not. But I really enjoy-- scratch that, LOVE-- watching Project Runway.

  2. Yesterday I had the opportunity to have a friend come for the whole day. She's moving away in 2 days (I'm learning that such is the fabric of overseas life-- seemingly constant change in companionship), but it was so precious and valuable to be able to share our hearts and process life together. We nursed our newborn babies, watched our older kids play together, and enjoyed the day visiting. I mentioned before about missing real life friends, so I want to acknowledge that God has not left me stranded... it just looks different (much less constant) than it did in the US. But He has blessed me with friendships and opportunities for transparency and encouragement when I need it.

  3. I'm going to have a root canal next week, my second in a couple years. I've heard before that teeth and childbearing are related... anyone else know about this? Anyway, I'm taking more vitamins now, trying to be more diligent about the care of my teeth. Last week we watched an episode of West Wing and Sam Seaborn (played by Rob Lowe) said: "Your teeth are the best friends you've got, CJ. You take care of them, they'll take care of you. I'm wild about dental hygiene." And it made me laugh. But something about it made me realize, gosh, I'm only 30 and on my 2nd root canal; I need to work harder to take care of these teeth of mine.

  4. Do any of you other moms of little ones have mental "careers" stored up for potential consideration/pursuit post-child-raising? I do, and the interesting thing is none of them are linked to what I got my degree in and used to do for a living (pre-children), which was politics. Here are mine: editor at a publishing house, midwifery, marriage & family counseling, not necessarily in that order. I think the last one may be my favorite option at this particular moment. Oh, and Project Runway contestant. :) What are yours?

  5. While watching Project Runway, I saw a trailer for a movie ("Easy A") about a girl who agrees to pretend to lose her virginity to a gay guy, I guess so he won't have to come out of the closet or something? It looks targeted towards high school students, and after checking out an internet source, I confirmed it is loosely based on Hawthorne's "The Scarlet Letter". Is this really what America is becoming? Is this really what we want to communicate to our youth?

    Are there really people among us that believe that serving up tripe like this will in any way make Americans more honorable, courageous, inventive, or strengthened in character and resolve? Christian or no, these are the character qualities that have made America strong, and I fear these are the very things slipping away rapidly from the fabric of our populace. Cultural happenings like this make me ask, will I recognize my country when we return in roughly a year's time?

  6. We're coming up on our 10th anniversary in about a month's time. :) Because we're going back to the US next summer, we're gonna hold off on a big celebration until then (we're thinking maybe a cruise or special trip, just the two of us, at that time). Anyway, I just wonder-- do any of you have some ideas about ways to celebrate without leaving the house? We'll probably be able to go to dinner together, but do you have any great ideas about ways we could commemorate this anniversary in a special way without leaving/going somewhere? I welcome your thoughts.

  7. And last but definitely not least, our oldest son is going to be baptized tomorrow; it's a big moment that has snuck up on us and I've not really had time to reflect on it as I'd like. I'm really thankful that God has been gracious not only to me but to our children. Just like I didn't have perfect parents, my kids don't either. And yet, despite my inconsistencies and foibles and sin, our son wants to follow Jesus. It's quite humbling to take on this job of being a parent, being entrusted with these little souls. I just keep praying and trusting that God will do incredible things in his heart and life... tomorrow is one huge piece of evidence to me that God is at work today just as He has always been.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...