Pages

Subscribe:

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Packing for NYC


My thoughts are starting to turn to packing for NYC. 

I don't ever take much when I travel.... because I have learnt over the years that you never need/wear everything you take. I also think I cured myself of ever travelling 'heavy' again, having backpacked through Europe and the UK in my 20's.... back in the days when EVERYTHING I owned in the world was in my backpack. I worked in a Burns and Plastic Surgery Hospital in London, as a Dietitian, between 'adventures,' so I had to lug work clothes and shoes and work books around with me when I was on the move again too (one needed reference books as there were no computers... that 'Intensive Care Ready Reckoner' has seen the world with me!). Uggh, I don't think my back, hips or knees have ever been the same since. 


So this time? Am I the only one in the world NOT planning to fill suitcases full of cheap stuff to bring home?.. or are these famous last words? ... and will I be sheepishly dragging clutter home with me? All I can think of is the heartbreak of losing it through the journey home ....if you know what I mean. 'Never pack what you are not prepared to lose', they say.


So, first and foremost, my valuables are staying on me. My passport and cash/credit cards will be around my neck... you know the glamorous 'reach down into one's cleavage look' when you wish to buy anything?... yep, I feel safest travelling that way. Very handy apparatus for hanging over the shower head too... to keep your valuables within eyesight and grabbing distance, whilst showering... when you are staying in scary youth hostels in Cesky Krumlov, where you think you are going to be robbed whilst showering.... or murdered in your sleep (if my brother is reading this.....remember?... I was so grateful to wake up alive.)


I''m not taking my laptop as it has my valuable 'work world' on it and if I lost it, my world would end.. well not really... but having to take the back up into some computer shop... and not seem blonde would be a stretch for me. IT and me?... need to know basis only. 

So, I have pinched my son's iPad 1... which sort of does nothing flash.... but I will be able to use Starbuck's WiFi and do stuff.... like a basic blog post with inappropriately sized photos etc.  I can 'bump' my iPhone photos onto it, so I have a back up of them... as I am only taking my iPhone (no camera... I know!... hey, I did Paris on an iPhone!) I have a little, flat, quite stylish, backpack handbag thing that is the exact size of the iPad.... so that's going on my back when I pound the pavement. The zipper can be padlocked and the padlock tucked out of sight ... minimising mugging scenarios....unless the mugger thinks, 'hey, that stylish handbag is the exact same size as an iPad, there must be one in there'!


So I am still doing the carry on suitcase inside the larger suitcase as check-in baggage... just in case!.... and only taking stuff that fills the carry on.... a few summer frocks, walking shoes, yoga pants and singlet to RUN THROUGH CENTRAL PARK IN!!!!!! I'm getting new running shoes there. Yep, still got the 9 year old faithfuls..which I am sure are responsible for my worsening hip and my salt shaker sounding knees as I run up steps.

What else do I need to consider? Does anyone have any specific New York packing tips? Bit different to Paris... I dressed for the part with my Parisian cloche hat and winter scarves and boots! It's going to be hot over there this time! I'm only taking a very small bag onto the plane... book, iPad, toiletries (which I have whittled down to nothing) and change of clothes for lost luggage! 'Murphy's Law' always applies when travelling! 

Happy Thursday!

Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...