Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Americana Wood Flag

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!
I hope you are all having a safe and happy Holiday weekend!

Just in case you missed my guest post over at Chicks Dig Deals, here is fun Americana DIY project you can whip up this summer!
I really heart this wooden flag from Pottery Barn. But not for $129! Ouch!


I thought I would make one of my own with stuff I already have at home.

I cut lathe wood to the length I desired. I wanted to make my flag light weight but you can make it with any kind of wood your prefer.


Lathe comes in a bundle for probably around $6-$7. I am still using my bundle of lathe from my purchase more than 2 years ago. So it lasts a long time.


Here are the measurements that I used but you can use any length/number you choose.

6-10 inches
6-26 inches
7-36 inches


I went ahead and painted the pieces red, white and blue. And also stenciled on stars. Hobby Lobby and Michael's both carry cheap star stencil sheets for around $2-$3. If you don't want to stencil then you can hand paint. Since I love the distressed look, I sanded the wood and added Early American MinWax Stain.

After the stain dried. I attached 3 pieces of lathe to the back of the flag with Gorilla Glue. I love Gorilla Glue! It's strong and waterproof. I then stacked some heavy boxes on top and let dry overnight. 

Then at one end of the flag I attached one 1x3 with glue and nails. I'll be hanging the flag vertical with wire so that is why I added the 1x3 for added support. If you want to hang horizontal then you don't have to do this step.


I want to hang my flag with wire, so I drilled two holes at the top of the flag through the lathe and 1x3.


I cut 2 pieces of wire from my bundle I have below. You can find wire at any home improvement store.


Before I show you the reveal...I wanted to show you my daily frustration with my outdoor flags. They always look like this. :( I'm always unraveling them. They're supposed to unravel themselves. So I was tired of the daily battle. LOL


A light weight wood flag looks so much better! Great for summer! Plus it was Free for me!


Thanks for visiting today. Be sure to come back for Terrific Under Ten Tuesday!

*UPDATED*
Stars always on the left

Linking Up HERE


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...