Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, May 30, 2011

Spicy Asian Lettuce Wraps

My friend Melissa raved about these Spicy Asian Lettuce Wraps and then submitted them for one of the recipe swaps where the recipient also raved about them. I'm trying to cook out of my comfort zone while also finding healthier recipes that are more suited to the summer heat. This sounded perfect.


These were delicious, with just a hint of spice from the Sriracha and a vibrant burst from the cilantro.

I had some chicken breasts in the freezer so I used my food processor to grind my own chicken. I made the filling in the morning after Baby Girl and SP left for the day. The smell was intoxicating and I couldn't wait for dinner. I subbed butter lettuce for iceburg and served the wraps with white rice and Asian-Style Broccoli. Because I'd used chicken instead of turkey the filling was a little dry, but that can easily be remedied by upping the amount of sauce ingredients. I reread Melissa's blog entry after I'd made them and was kicking myself for not adding the water chestnuts she suggested - they'd make a great, crunchy addition so I added them to the recipe below so I won't forget next time.


I can't wait to make these again. Thanks for a real winner, Melissa!

Spicy Asian Lettuce Wraps
Adapted from I Was Born to Cook

2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons ginger root, peeled and grated
1 1/2 lbs. ground chicken (or turkey)
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Sriracha
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 small can water chestnuts, chopped
1/3 cup chopped peanuts
1 head butter lettuce (or iceburg)

Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan, add onion and saute about 2 minutes, then add garlic and ginger root and saute another minute. Add ground chicken (turkey) to frying pan and break apart, then add soy sauce and Sriracha. Cook until the chicken (turkey) is brown and crumbling apart, and the sauce is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.

While chicken (turkey) cooks, wash and chop cilantro. Remove the core end from lettuce and separate leaves. Chop peanuts and put in small bowl to serve at the table. When turkey is done, add chopped water chestnuts and chopped cilantro and cook 1-2 minutes more.

To serve: place chicken mixture on lettuce leaf, sprinkle with peanuts, and fold the leaf closed to make it easy to grab and eat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...