Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

bookshelf makeover

There is an amazing thrift store in Falls Church called the Unique thrift store. It is enormous and has some awesome finds. I popped in the other day and came out with this little bookshelf for my son's room. It was $5! I'm not sure why they priced it so cheap. It's a solid wood, very sturdy bookshelf. But, no complaints here. :)

Here it is........ And here is Maryn modeling the shelf before she "helped" me sand it.



I sanded it down with an electric sander. It didn't really need it, but I wanted the paint to have a really smooth finish. Then I wiped it down with a damp cloth to get rid of all the extra grit. I primed it with Rustoleum's white primer and then spray painted it really well with Rustoleum's glossy white. It had such a great finish! I remember that I had a whole bunch of wallpaper that I bought years ago, but then didn't use. I bought it for a powder room, and I'm thankful I didn't use it because it is a bit loud. I thought it would be perfect though for the back of emmett's shelf. I simply measured the backs and then cut out the paper. Done!



And the best part about the whole thing is that the wallpaper has bright orange in it and matches his room perfectly!



Now onto the accessories........



A pic of sweet e with his mama.












What is so fun about this project is the things you can do with this shelf is endless. I actually used painters tape to put the paper on the back. It worked really well. I was nervous to actually paste it on there in case down the road I wanted it for a different space and decided to change up the background. And knowing my history, I could change out the paper in a month or so. An idea I think would be incredible is you painted a book shelf a glossy black with this wallpaper called Woods by Cole and Son as your background.



So, including the spray paint, the whole project cost me under $15. Sweet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...