Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mirror Magic

I heart old doors. I have a nice stash in our shed that my husband would love for me to clear out, I'm sure. :)

I bought this door a couple years ago at EcoStores Nebraska-my local salvage center. And if I remember right, I got it for $5. I know I didn't spend any more than that.

It's an interesting door. It's very narrow and has a window. Don't know where it would of been used.


But it's definitely USED! LOL
Peeling paint, dirt, grime...
Complete with dog/cat scratches at the base of the door.


My hubby cut a small section off the bottom of the door where it was beat up.
I scraped off the loose paint. Then I cleaned up the surface with bleach and water.

After it was dry, I painted the best side of the door with some paint I already had.


Here's what I used.


After it was dry, I took my electric sander and sanded down the surface and edges to give it a more distressed look.

Then I stained the surface with MinWax Dark Walnut Stain.

All you do is wipe on the stain and then wipe off with a clean rag.

Here you can see the difference where I stained and didn't stain.


I thought the stain made the door a little too dark for the look that I was going for...so I dry brushed some of my white paint over the stain to lighten it up a little more. I probably would of used MinWax Early American instead but I was just using what I had at home and Dark walnut was all I had.

After it was dry, I could of stopped there. But I had more plans for this cute little door.

I saw this mirror post from Meridian Road and just knew I had to try it out someday.

So I went on a hunt for some mirror spray paint. This stuff is kind of hard to find. But on a Hobby Lobby trip one day, I found it! With a 40% off coupon, I got this can for around $5.


This spray paint is cool! You make your glass surface into a mirror. Now it's not the same as a real mirror but it does give a neat looking glass image.

According to the directions I sprayed the BACK side of the window with 5 light, even coats. It takes an hour to "cure". I did this while the door was propped up against my work bench.

The paint gave the glass a wonderful mirror look and I loved it! But I didn't stop there. I wanted to give the "mirror" a more aged look. So while the surface was still tacky, I placed my door on some saw horses so the door was laying down.

Not knowing if this was going to work or not...I took a spray bottle and (crossing my fingers) sprayed around the edges randomly. And as you can see some of the area where I sprayed began to bubble up! It's so nice when an idea actually works. :)


I waited for all the water to dry before moving the door upright because I wouldn't want water marks running down the mirror. It took about an hour in my semi-cold garage to dry.

And here is my mirror door today!


Here you can see where I sprayed the water to give it an aged look.


Hey, that's me! See how cool this paint is?!


We added the door to our (boring) bedroom. This room will get a makeover soon. Now this just inspires me to get going on this room project!


No door knob, but that's okay. I took the plate and I dry brushed some white paint on it. After it was dry I sanded it down and added some stain. I love the look it created!


Wouldn't this mirror spray paint be cool to use on the glass of some old picture frames?! You could make a collage of mirrors on your wall. Real mirrors can be pricey sometimes, so this would be a great alternative!

Can you think of any other projects to use with this paint?


I'm happy with another successful project and hubby is happy with one less door in his shed. :)

I'm linking up to a few of these linky parties!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...