Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, January 24, 2011

Custom Bookshelf

My hubby has requested for quite awhile some bookshelves for our family room in the basement. I've been on quite the hunt for the past 6+ months for some affordable shelves but not too much luck. So I did the next best thing and tried to create some custom bookshelves of our own.

I went to Menards and picked up 2 nice large bookshelves for about $18 each. Menards had a great sale this past month on furniture. These shelves are nothing special...just basic and cheap.

I knew we would outgrow one bookshelf really quick so I decided to get 2.


Also at Menards, I grabbed some trim to dress it up a bit.
Here are the 4 different sizes/styles I used.


Before adding the molding/trim, hubby connected the 2 bookshelves together with some bolts at the top and bottom. This will keep them secured together, which is really important if we ever want to rearrange the room sometime.

Then I added the trim. A big thank you to my hubs for cutting my corner pieces!

As you can see, we added the casing to the bottom, crown molding to the top, the smallest trim on the 2 sides and the 1.5" trim to the middle-which covers up the seam where the 2 meet. To attach them, we used the handy, dandy nail gun. I filled in the nail holes with lightweight spackling and then painted the trim to match the main shelves.


I love how all the molding gave it a custom look, expecially the crown molding!


Now it looks like one big bookshelf waiting to be filled up with wonderful books for the whole family.
In the meantime, it is storing a few books, games and fun treasures!


I'll be joining some of these linky parties this week!
Have a great day!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...