Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Summer Time Wood Plank Picture Frame

I just love wood plank picture frames. If you search for them online, you can find them easily for about $50 each! Yikes! Well I'm going to show you how to make your very own for Free-$3, depending on what you have at home.

All you need is wood, screws and paint.

I will show you how I make mine but really you can make it out of any size of wood you have on hand or prefer. As long as each of the wood pieces have the approx. the same thickness, then you should have no problem.

I started it off with 3 pieces of 1x3's and 2 pieces of 1x2's. I had all this wood leftover from a previous project. I wanted my frame nice and big, so each piece is 20 inches long.


I then decided what size I wanted my opening for a picture. I wanted to work with the wood and not against it. It makes for easier cutting.
You can see my box below that I measured out with a ruler. For this frame, I wanted around a 5x7.


This is how it looks with the "center" cut out.


The hole looked a little big for the frame. So I added 2 more pieces of 1x2's to the outside. Now I think that looks much better.


I then went ahead and painted each "plank" with my preferred colors. With summer just around the corner, I'm choosing RED, WHITE & BLUE.

After the paint dried, I sanded down the edges for that distressed look that I love. Then I flipped them over to connect the pieces all together. I cut 2 pieces of wood lathe just a little shorter than the width of the entire frame. Then I screwed in from the back. You can even use wood glue to secure it more.


I also nailed a small piece of plywood to the back for the picture opening.
It doesn't have to look perfect. :)
Attach a small sawtooth hanger to the back for easy hanging.



Flip it over and now it's a fun frame to enjoy those summertime memories!


Here's a better look at my sanded edges.


It can displayed horizontal or vertical.


A fun and easy project to whip up in no time!

Click here for another version of a wood plank picture frame I made.

Linking up HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...