Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Ribbon Necklace

I bought a trellis necklace at a craft fair recently.

It looks almost like this.

Source Etsy

From far away it looks like beads until you go up close and actually see that it's made from a fine yarn.

The one I bought was actually only $8. So not bad!

I was on a quest to find this "yarn" to make some more for myself. I only hit up Hobby Lobby and no such luck. (If you know where I could get this type of yarn, please let me know!)

 I went to the next best thing and headed over to the ribbon department.

I got a spool of ribbon for $1 (1/2 off).

I already had some beads already in my craft stash at home.

Then I just started experimenting.


For my necklace, I cut 3 pieces of ribbon 20 inches long and then another one 34 inches long.

You can use more pieces of ribbon if you like for more "body" to your necklace. I picked out a fun ribbon with a lot of texture to it.

Also with the length of the ribbon, you can always make them longer if you wish.


Make sure the short ribbons are centered with the longer ribbon. Then tie a knot on both ends...still making sure the longer ribbon is sticking out evenly on both ends.


All you need is one bead. Make sure your bead has a big hole to get 2 pieces of ribbon to fit through.

I used a trusty toothpick to thread the 2 ends of the ribbons through.


Then tie a another knot at the end so the bead won't slide off.

Trim frayed edges from the 3 knots. And done!

Here you can see the anatomy of the necklace.



The bead is there to make it easy to slip over your head and to adjust the necklace length once it's on.



A simple project that takes only minutes to make and for less than $1!

Wouldn't these make a fun gift? Or make one for yourself with every color of the rainbow!


Stay tuned for the the giveaway tomorrow!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...