Pages

Subscribe:

Friday, July 23, 2010

Labor Of Love

OUR BATHROOM RENO IS DONE!! CAN YOU HEAR THE SQUEAL IN MY VOICE?
Come along and watch the journey of the past 5 months.

Here is the bathroom BEFORE! Oh where to start what was wrong with this room?!!! Original 1960's cabinets, white/pink/blue countertops, faux tile panel wall, VERY LARGE mirrors, outdated everything....

And with embarrassment, we had this house for 3 years before touching this room. Other rooms were more a priority.


2 homeowners before us remodeled this beauty. Isn't pretty? You would think they remodeled this in the 70's but NO FOLKS, it was mid-90's! They did a terrible job! My favorite was the faux venision plaster look. It looked like they stuck their hands in joint compound and smeared it all over the wall.

Don't you love the toilet paper roll IN the wall? And access panel.


I'm embarrassed to show you this but this was the water damage around the tub. Instead of fixing the problem the old homeowners filled up the rotten areas with silicone.



Here is the BIG cabinet behind the door. We debated to keep this or not. But we did and I'm glad because it is WONDERFUL storage!


Here is during...We started reno in February. I should say hubby because he did most of the work! Love you, honey! He took down all the drywall and most of the subfloor because there was so much water damage! Oh and he fixed the small leak that was the culprit of this big mess!

See the "special" cutout for the toilet paper roll? Looks like a lot of work for such an ugly thing...


Another view of the mess. Thankfully we had 2 other bathrooms. So at the end of working in there we would just have to shut the door.

We found some original 1960's tile behind the countertops. Now we know why they did the faux plaster treatment on the walls...to cover up the squares from the old grout.


Don't you love the bathroom light? We're pretty sure it was the original. It's okay to keep if the original if you really like it but don't you think you would at least tape off the light when you are painting the ceiling OR wipe it off when you have seen you accidentally painted on the light?!! You would think? There is a lot of "that" in our house. I LOVE our house but don't like dealing with old homeowners oops!


More mess...


Hubby is pretty handy. When he tore all the walls out, he moved the outlets around to more convenient areas in the room. This particular outlet was located right below the hand towel holder (the towel holder had no other place to go). So when we dried our hands, water dripped all over the outlet. It had a circuit breaker but it just seemed unsafe to me...


So before I make the big reveal and lots of pictures...I just want to express how much I love my hubby of mine. He worked hours and hours on this bathroom. He put off many projects this year to finish this! He works very hard for our family, so I know he's tired and wants a break when he gets home. He did 99% of this project. I just had the ideas, painted and decorated. So thank you hubby for being the greatest!!

So won't you come in?!!!

Wall color: Bamboo-Pittsburgh Paint
Ceiling/Trim: Delicate White-Pittsburgh Paint



Pictures will be quite random since this is a bathroom with lots of angles/close corners.

We (hubby) put up drywall then added panelling on top. Beadboard was added to the ceiling.


Oil Rubbed Bronze...yum. We got the sink (Price Pfister) and shower/tub (Delta) faucets at Menards.


We got the towel racks and hooks at Wal-Mart of all places.


Gotta love Goodwill! Toothbrush holder (for our boys) for $2!


Goodwill again: cup for 99 cents. :) I gave both of these a GOOD washin'!


The soap pumps are not matching but both oil rubbed bronze. I stole them from the other bathrooms. :)


My new favorite store: TJ Maxx! I haven't been in this store probably in 10 years. I was at Best Buy one day and TJ Maxx was right next door so I took a stroll on over...glad I did because I scored me some pretty plates! These were probably $15 total. Added a splash of red because it's my favorite color. :)


We bought the vanities unfinished from Menards. I painted them the same color as the trim/ceiling color but distressed them a little and added Early American stain made by MinWax. I wanted it a little lighter than my normal "Dark Walnut" stain I use.

The knobs/pulls are from Wal-Mart.


They did have oil rubbed bronze pulls/knobs but it was cheaper to get the silver and brass ones and then paint them with Krylon-Oil rubbed bronze.


In reality, this chair is being replaced with a Potty Chair...but for picture taking purposes, I thought this looked much better. :) Now if my 3 year old, stubborn son would actually use the potty chair, we would be in business!


I love our new wood floor FAUX real!! Laminate "wood" planks...the peel and stick kind. They look and feel like wood! Got these at Menards. Hubby placed them down in a random pattern.


The hand towels are from TJ Maxx. Cheap!


Pale yellow vase for $1 at a garage sale. :)


The light fixtures we actually reused from our old bathroom. The metal was silver before. I sprayed painted them a textured oil rubbed bronze. Oh and whenever I spray paint metal, I use a car spray paint primer. Works great!


The mirrors were found at Wal-Mart-Better Homes and Gardens. They are big! And I love the trim.


I opted for hooks instead of a towel rack since they are easier to hang for 2 little boys. Soft white towels from TJ Maxx. I like the look but I also got white because my 3 years LOVES ghosts! LOL He pretends he's one after his baths/showers. So gotta have white towels for play!


I got this pretty fabric at Hobby Lobby on clearance. Sssshhhh...it's pinned.




I used our old shower curtain. I'm sure I got it at Wal-Mart many years ago. :)


I took 1/2 off ribbon from Hobby Lobby and just tied onto the rings for a little color. I decided to do every other ring, I thought it might be "too much" with every one.


Remember the old light fixture with paint marks and all? It was replaced!


A little closer...much better. Oil rubbed bronze again. Again this was from Menards, I'm sure on sale, I think for $10 for 2 lights. The other light went in the hallway just outside the bathroom.


Here's a closer look at the wall and ceiling. I told hubby I wanted to do this in every room of the house now. He said he's on vacation!


Hello rain can shower! I took the first shower last night and it was wonderful!


Matching tub fixtures. The tub/shower surround is from Home Depot. It is a NO caulk system! Gotta love that. We still caulked Around the tub and shower.


A clickable drain stopper. It opens and closes with a flick of a toe. And no foot modeling contracts in my future...


The toilet view.


My mom made the Kleenex box. (It's made out of old lathe)


Here's my mirror that I redid the other week. My mom made the box with lavender. It was made out of old beadboard from on old house. And the pitcher was $2 from a garage sale. Oh and the shelf I made. It was supposed to be the other way around but I liked it "upside down". It's okay to change my mind, right?


I even spray painted the old fan cover. It was silver before with white ceiling paint on it....grrrrrrr.


Are you tired of pictures yet? LOL Here is the cabinet that is behind the door. I painted it an old blue color (left over from my son's room), then sanded and stained.


I even kept the old handles, but spray painted them.


The sinks are from Menards again. The are so big! I can take a bath in these things! LOVE them!






Basket from Goodwill. Great for a trash can and it was only $3!


Well that is the end of my tour. I hope you stuck around to see the whole post. Sorry for the picture overload but I wanted you to get the full picture. The items that we got like the sinks, faucets, vanities, shower, paneling, beadboard, drywall, subfloor...were all on sale. We were patient and waited and in the end we saved a lot of money!


I catch myself taking extra trips to the bathroom for no reason. LOL It feels like a Bed and Breakfast OR just not my house! Now I want the rest of my house to look/feel this way. Hubby's on vacation so I guess I'm on my own...I guess one project at a time.

Thanks so much for your visit and comments!













 


Photobucket






 
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...