Pages

Subscribe:

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Repurposed Cabinet


This Ikea cabinet was used by the previous owners as the kitchen island. After we replaced it with the other one, I wanted to repurpose it in some way in another part of the house.
Before:
After:
The drawers are extra deep and with 12 of them, this piece of furniture can hold a lot of STUFF. My husband made a new top for it and extended the sides out further to accomodate stools for underneath. It is now used in the homeschooling/playroom as a catch all for school and art supplies.
I am not a scrapbooker, but I love purusing the aisles of scrapbooking supplies at Michaels. So many nifty trinkets and colorful papers. I'm always dreaming up ways in which I can use the supplies that catch my eye in my home. Remember the fabric tag I had on the basket in my kitchen? As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to incorporate it somewhere. Now, I get to look at it every time I open my fridge... which is approximately 57 times a day.
I found some brown cardboard labels from the store to use as drawer labels for the cabinet. I attached the labels with some old sheer linen fabric I had sitting in my fabric basket. I love the unfinished edges and the way they curl up a little on the sides. I also found some wonderful worn-looking scrapbooking paper to back the clear drawer fronts. It's the perfect color.

I used a white paint pen to write what the proper contents of each drawer should hold. I trust my children to read and abide by the labels. But I never check.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...