Pages

Subscribe:

Friday, November 14, 2008

Thoughts on Humor in the Home

I recently overheard our four-year-old son having one of his Lego men say to another bad-guy-Lego, "I'm gonna punch you in the nose, hopscotch!" (Line courtesy of Mickey Rooney on "Night at the Museum"... thanks mom and dad!) Doug and I couldn't help but crack up at his little squishy voice delivering such a line!

Having kids to laugh with, who laugh together, and bring humor to even the most dreary situations... well, it is SUCH a sweet blessing. I love laughing with my kiddos... and-- I'll admit it-- AT my kiddos. They are just such spunky little quirky individuals. Each one has had funny things they've said or done that make life at 2, 3, and 4 so much fun.

Watching kids' "logic" develop can be hilarious... seeing them get into precarious situations (like when they start crawling) brings a sympathetic chuckle... and who could KEEP from laughing at the funny things they SAY!? And seeing them learn to laugh together as siblings, and enjoy God's world gives me such joy.

I've always thought God has a rich sense of humor-- in His Word, He uses wry wit and obvious sarcasm to bring salient points to light (like His questions to Job) ... and He DID create us with a sense of humor-- some people (Steve Carell, Will Ferrell, and John Cleese & the Python boys among them) have obvious innate giftings in the God-given "medicine" of laughter. Plus, while on earth, Jesus hung out at parties... apparently a LOT of them, with the way He was scolded for it. I'm betting there was no small portion of laughter and enjoyment in His presence.

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under Heaven:
...a time to weep, and a time to laugh..." - Ecclesiastes 3: 1, 4

Personally, though, I sometimes have difficulty discerning what is OK to laugh at. Some things strike me as hilarious, ironic, sarcastic, or just absurd, but I also recognize that some of my "taste" in humor was acquired when I absolutely was not making choices in light of God's Word... so I sometimes need to reevaluate the things I laugh at.


Tell me-- what are your thoughts on humor? How do you and your family enjoy humor in your home? Do you struggle, as I do, with knowing what IS and ISN'T OK to laugh at? How do you and your family determine that?

If you've learned something or grown in this area of humor and what is and isn't OK to laugh at, OR in some way that God's Word has spoken to you on this issue, feel free to share it with the rest of us!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...