Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, November 2, 2008

God is Sovereign Over All Human Authorities

Eight years ago, my new husband and I were glued to the TV screen watching every facet of analysis and political commentary we could hear. Our then-engaged friends John & Julie came over to our tiny apartment and we all stayed up late into the night, waiting to see who would win... only to give up in the wee hours of the morning (which turned out to be a good thing, as the election didn't get cleared up for many weeks).

Four years ago, again, we watched eagerly, from our home in Texas, and were glad to see clear election results after the scandal and drama of the previous presidential election.

2008: McCain vs. Obama
This year, living in an apartment in Central Asia, I have been able to check in on the election when I want to, and aside from the fury of blog articles popping up in my bloglines account, I've been able to almost ignore the election except for when I go looking for information about it. Honestly, even though it at times feels strange to be so "out" of it (particular as a politically-minded gal), it's been kind of nice.

I'm sure some of my lack of worry and sense of disconnectedness comes from this being the first time I live overseas during the presidential elections, and the fact that I'm not seeing 24/7 wall-to-wall coverage of it. Some of it probably comes from the fact that "my" horse in the presidential race dropped in the Spring and I'm not *jazzed* about either candidate (although I definitely DID vote... and you should, too!).

But, also, God is giving me a new sense of peace about it all. Regardless of who wins... and however we feel about that (I know Christians who will be angry if McCain wins, and some who will be angry if Obama wins, and some who will be angry no matter what happens), it is absolutely wonderful to be able to rest in God's sovereignty.
Psalm 47: 8 says:
God reigns over the nations; God sits on his holy throne.

Proverbs 21:1 says:
The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will.

RESPONDING TO THE OUTCOME

I feel challenged myself... and want to share this challenge with you all: whoever wins, let's agree to lift them up in prayer... no matter who it is, he will need it.
1 Timothy 2: 1-3 says:
I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior,
We don't have to despair or be driven into fearmongering or slander. No matter who wins, let's avoid despair. Let's avoid letting this consume us. Let's not sink to bitterness or slander.


Our citizenship is in Heaven. Our hope is not in one who will promise change (in whatever party/ideology), but in the One who never changes. The King of Kings and Lord of Lords is still in control! Our salvation does not lie in human governments. Our hope is not in a candidate. True change does not come with a new administration. Let us hope in Christ!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...