Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Afternoon House Ponderings


Hello! Happy Easter! I hope you are having a relaxing holiday weekend. 

I am sitting drooling over house plans this afternoon....enjoying all the emails you have sent me, with pictures and suggestions of what I should do. Thank you!

Well, this is it. This is my block. The 20m frontage faces north.


I am looking for porch and gable inspiration. I plan to have an L-shaped porch, embracing both frontages, and a feature gable on each street elevation.....with double hung windows and eave returns on each gable (if I'm allowed....depends on who will be interpreting my plans according to the Brisbane City Plan).

I love the 2 feature gables in this one... with the 4 double hung windows in between. I am going to have to have eaves over my gables.... in keeping with the Brisbane City Character Code.


Here it is, drawn. No curves on my porch though... all square.


Here's the 2 feature gable idea... one for each street elevation.
Deeper eaves in this one...more chance of passing the code.


I'm so excited about having a flat block... so I can create a porch with just a few steps up to it.


Should my gables have separate windows, like this, or a set of two double hungs?


Here's a beauty Dianne sent me. Perfect for a 40 x 20! Maybe mirror imaged?
I only have a total height of 8.5m to work with.... so mucking around with roof pitch is where I am going to start.... then I will work the floor plan around the roof.


Oh to have greater than 8.5m height!

Yes, all that said, I have to abide by the 'Residential Character Code' set out in the Brisbane City Plan:


Part 5 is all about the roof form. Unfortunately, the pre-1946 roof forms in the area do not have gables. It will be interesting to see what I can have approved wrt roof form, according to the code. Dare I mention the dreaded box with skillion roof?.... yes there's one down the street. Surely if that can pass, then my pretty gables will get through. Both homes on either side of my block are pre 1946. I checked on the 1946 aerial photograph. I'm pleased about that. It means my home will fit in nicely and not stick out like a sore thumb.... like the box with the skillion!


Part 4 should be a cinch.


Or I could just do the total symmetry thing?
Delicious things to ponder over an Easter Sunday afternoon.

Have a lovely evening. See you tomorrow....... I have a lovely nook to share with you.
Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...