Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Haul Out The Holly: Christmas Tree Twig Art

Haul Out the Holly,Gwenny Penny,Christmas tutorials

I'm so excited to be a part of the Haul Out the Holly Event again! I had a great time making my felt poinsettias for last year's event!

This year, my project is going to be just as easy and thrifty.

I'm going to show you how to make Christmas Tree Twig Art


I first started with 3 pieces of scrap beadboard I had on hand. Now you can use anything you have available at home. 1x3 pine pieces would work great as well, like I did HERE.

I cut them equal length:16.5 inches
You can use any desired length of your choice


I then took 2 pieces of lathe wood to secure the 3 pieces of wood. I used Gorilla Glue and then nailed them in place. If you have a nail gun, then that is a nice time saver! I love mine! Don't know what I would do without it!


I wanted to create a simple frame around the edge of my beadboard for a more finished look so I cut up a 1/2 inch x 1 inch trim piece in 4 pieces. Mine were approx. 10.5 inches (2) and 15 inches (2) long.
I painted the beadboard an off-white color and then painted the trim pieces a dark red.


While your wood pieces are drying, go out in the yard and start searching for some twigs for your art piece. This is a great opportunity to get your kids involved.


After the paint was dry. I sanded down the edges of the painted wood pieces and added a little Early American MinWax Stain to give them a worn look that I love.

After they were dry, then I glued down the 4 trim pieces with Gorilla glue and a nail gun around the perimeter of the the beadboard. It gives it a nice finished look.


Now the twig tree is so easy. You just start breaking up your collected twigs. I started from the bottom with the longest piece and worked my way up...getting shorter and shorter, until I reached the top. I used 3 small twigs for the trunk. I simply used a hot glue gun to secure the pieces on the beadboard.


For the star, I used skinny twigs all broken in 5 even lengths. I made a star figure and secured the ends with hot glue. I wanted to add a little more interest to the star so I wrapped thin twin around the points and glued them to secure them. They are more for looks than function. :)




The power of scrap wood, nature and a glue gun to create your own Christmas Art!



Thanks so much for visiting today. And a big thanks to Gwen from Gwenny Penny for having me join in on the the Haul Out The Holly Festivities!

Now the event continues for 3 weeks! There will be a featured blogger each day showing off a fun Christmas craft tutorial that you can make, too!


Linking up HERE
Best DIY Projects of November-Beneath My Heart
Christmas Linky Party at Someday Crafts

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...