Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, November 29, 2010

Weekend Project

shelves2

So… we got back from our week-long excursion at 11:30 p.m. Friday night.  As my husband and I were sitting with our morning coffee at 8:00 the next morning, we talked of the various house projects in the line-up.  30 minutes later, he had the air compressor and nail gun going.  I think it’s an addiction, this hobby of ours. 

shelves6

The old kitchen (above) had a cupboard built into the backsplash to the left of the sink.  See?  It was extremely impractical.  Being 5‘3”, my little arms can only stretch so far.  We always thought a shelf under our lower cabinets could come in handy, but the cupboard and it’s doors prohibited us from building one. 
  shelves7

So this weekend, we covered up the glorified hole, and built the shelf we always wanted.  Using leftover wood, the project was free!

shelves5

My husband built the brackets, so they are one of a kind.  Like him.  ;)

shelves3 
The antique salt and pepper shakers belonged to my grandma.  I adore them. 

shelves8

They were passed down to my mom, and then on to me.  I don’t think I’ll ever let them go - until death do us part.  Sorry girls.

shelves9

I wanted the shelf to be utilitarian, stacked with things we use multiple times a day.

shelves4

Practical…

shelves2

but pretty too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...