Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Free Cabinet Makeover

Hello Everyone! Sorry I've been MIA. I work night shift on the weekends and lately my body is not agreeing with me working nights. It usually takes me a few days to get back to "normal". So bare with me. LOL

I got this great cabinet at a garage sale for FREE this summer! I couldn't believe the sign said FREE on it, so as I was about to scoop it up. Some guy was a few steps ahead of me. I was bummed. So I headed to the next garage sale a few houses down. At the corner of my eye...okay I was standing there watching, as this guy and his friend were trying to shove this cabinet in their trunk. It was no way fitting. This thing is 5 feet tall!

So I went back to the garage sale and asked the owner if they were coming back with a bigger vehicle and she said no.

THEN IT'S COMING HOME WITH ME!
Thankfully I had hubby with me and tarp straps!


She's pretty. But unfortunately she's make from plywood and laminate. :(

A little TLC was needed. We added some leftover paneling to the back for extra support. Plus it was much prettier than the original cardboard back


I also filled in holes with spakling where there were chunks taken out here and there.

It sat in my garage for months because I knew a stinky job had to be done to make this thing over!

Oil-Based Primer.

"Sticks to glossy surfaces without sanding".

Make sure when working with this that you are in a well ventilated area and wear a mask.

2 coats will do.


Picking out a color was the hardest part! I first wanted to do it white, then I decided dark.

I painted the base coat black with leftover paint I had.



The inside I painted white so the display area could be seen better.

Then I painted the top coat a dark chocolate brown. Again just some paint I had laying around.

When painting, I purposely left some black showing through. When dry, I added a dark walnut stain to the brown. Early American stain to the white. Just to give it a little "age".


After days and days of drying last week...we finally hauled it upstairs to the dining room.

It fit perfectly in an odd spot I have always had difficulty "filling in"!


The original knobs I kept because they are really cute!


Here's the inside with the paneling and aging.


It had great molding details for being a cheap laminate piece!

I did add 2 pieces of beadboard on the sides at the bottom. There were 2 "chunks" taken out at the bottom and a "molding" piece is great at hiding things like that. :)


I just love her. And all I had to pay for was the primer!

It has wonderful storage as well! The bottom is for coloring/activity books for the boys.


Soon I will be painting my living/dining room a much lighter color...but that's another day. 

One project at a time, huh?

Here's my 25 cent garage sale cornucopia. Can you believe Thanksgiving is just around the corner?


Thanks for visiting today! I'll be back soon!


HOG


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...