Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Art Center

Another blast for the past project to share with you today!

Our family art center!

It's located in our mudroom area. I had good intentions on this being our family organization area. Where we can put school papers, lunch menu, events and art...well our mudroom is located by our garage entrance like most mudrooms. But when my oldest son goes to school he uses the front door to walk to the bus stop. So it was just a hassle having his papers at a different entrance from the one he uses on a daily basis.

So I sucked it up that this plan failed and now it is a fun art center for my boy's art! We needed a place for the never ending masterpieces anyways!

We also use this for keys and notepaper for shopping lists or sweet messages to and from my men in the house.



I made this before I started doing step by step tutorials so I will just have to explain what I did.

I started off with a big sheet of peg board from our local home improvement store. I think ours is 4x4 ft. They are pretty cheap. I then painted it barn red. I painted divider stripes using painter's tape. It was easy because all I had to do was follow the holes. I stenciled my sons' initials as well. You will see stars stenciled on top of the board. Before there were days of the week stenciled on...when I realized we weren't using this board, I then stenciled some stars over the letters. But if you want to make something like this for organization, having a section for each day of the week is very helpful!

I then added dark walnut stain to richin' it up.

After it was dry, I (hubby) screwed the pegboard directly into the wall.
I then added some lathe pieces I already had to "frame" it out. Some cute molding would be nice as well. I was just using what I got. I painted the lathe pieces black before adding them to the wall.

For the clothespins, I found some plastic ones with magnets at Office Depot. I didn't want to use them as magnets but I liked them because there was already a pre-drilled hole in the back of them. They came in "clear". So I primed and painted them black.

All I (hubby again) had to do was screw each clothespin into a hole of the pegboard.



I had some hooks on hand at home. So having the the keys by the garage entrance was a must!

I then added a fun clipboard I jazzed up with scrapbook paper.



A fun art center that the whole family enjoys!
Looks like I better take the fall stuff down. Time for Winter Wonderland Masterpieces!


Thanksgiving just around the corner! Yeah!
What are your plans?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...