Pages

Subscribe:

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

$5 Kitchen Island

Well as you can tell I haven't been around much in blogging world this summer. All I can say is that we have been BUSY!

My boys started school last week, so hopefully I can get around to blogging a little more often as things quiet down a bit around here.

I did a quick and cheap project a few weeks ago that I would like to share with you today.

I bought this tall table at a garage sale for $5. Nothing special to it except that I loved the height and the narrow width. We were wanting some extra working space in our small kitchen and this would be perfect!


For the update, I used paint I already had on hand at home. I first gave it a good cleaning with soap and water. Then I sanded down the surface. I painted the base part of the table a pretty cream color. After it was dry, I sanded down the edges and added MinWax Early American Stain for the age look I love.


For the top, I wanted to keep a nice rich wood look. I disliked the light wood it styled before, so I stained it with MinWax Dark Walnut. After it was dry, I added several coats of polyurethane for protection.

I love all the imperfections on the table top, it gives it that fun rustic feel.


I was going to replace the knob but thought I would save $5 for a new one and just spray paint the current one. I removed it from the drawer, cleaned it, gave it a light sanding and then primed it with a metal spray paint and then Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint. Easy peasy! The hardest part is waiting for everything to dry. :)


We debated on putting it on wheels and move it out to the center of the kitchen when we needed that extra counter space. But once we moved it to the area, we decided to not put wheels and leave it in the center as an island.

We use it all the time and wonder what we did without it! It will do until we decide to knock down some walls for a kitchen demo way down the road. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...