Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Times, They Are a'Changin.

So many things, I don't know where to start. But I'll start nonetheless.

First (and very happily), we're moving. Not a huge move... nothing like what we've done in the last few years (cross-world, multiple times), but still, a move. A new apartment to set up (the living room of which is pictured at right). New norms to become accustomed to. New friends to be made. New cabinets to organize. New neighbors to meet. New daily routines to figure out. New specifics in our house rules. New stores to find. New roads to get to know. New, new, new. All beginning this Friday! :)

Second (also very happily), I have begun a more intensive regimen for language study. You see, since we moved here, I have only gotten bits and pieces. Got a late start so that Doug could go great guns with it, then got a couple months' worth, then had our 4th child, and then time has been difficult to find ever since. Sometime this year, I'd also like to add in language study to our homeschool times as well, so that the kids can be more intentional in their language learning.

Anyway. This last week, I began lessons once again. And it feels good. But I can already tell that it may put a dent in how much time/energy/mental thought I can spend here. Until & unless you've tried to learn a foreign language in that setting, it is difficult to comprehend just how much of your brain power it consumes, and just how exhausting it can be. I know that spending my "free" moments here and there studying will all but eliminate my scouring of articles online, which means that Show & Tells will be scarce for a while (sorry to those of you who have said that's your favorite feature around here!). I hope to still have time to read-- for pleasure, spiritual growth, and being challenged-- but I'm not sure that I'll have time to do reviews of the books, unless I feel particularly impressed to do so.


ALL THIS TO SAY...
I don't know in what form Making Home will continue for this season. Writing is so much a part of who I am, how I de-stress, how I work through issues/concerns of life, and how I examine Scripture & spirituality... that I'm not of the opinion that I can ever just stop writing.

But where does any of this that I've listed above leave any time to write? I have no idea. I think this is going to be a season in which I'll grab time when I can. I still hope to write, realistically maybe once a week. But we'll just see. Real life comes first. And while Making Home is a part of "real life" for me-- a way for me to engage with others, grow & learn, and authentically share what I'm learning/doing-- right now, it will take a back seat to other more pressing real life demands.

I hope to still hear from you all. It's been 2 & 1/2 years since I started Making Home, as a way to just get out random thoughts, and what I've received back-- in terms of personal growth, friendship with so many women around the world, being challenged to think & write carefully, and encouragement from so many of you-- has been a treasure.

This post is not a goodbye, or even a "pause"... but it IS intended to be a note that says something like, "I don't know exactly what's coming, but looking at the future realistically, I don't think we'll be able to talk as often as we have... but I sincerely hope we can still be friends-- friends that can pick right back up where they left off, and enjoy intermittent, random moments strung together to make for meaningful interactions." :)

Blessings to you all! And I'll see ya when I see ya.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...