Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Psalms, Hymns, & Spiritual Songs: Fairest Lord Jesus

There is something about the depth of truth and theology found in many old hymns that is severely lacking in most modern-day Christian songs. I'm not an anti-praise & worship gal but am now revisiting the lyrics of many old hymns. I grew up singing old hymns but (like many evangelicals) transitioned to praise & worship in the mid-90's, and am often delighted at the solid foundation of truth I find in the old songs of faith.

So, on Sundays every now and then (if you've been around, you know I'm not one to vow to an ever-faithful once-a-week posting on a particular topic, etc...), I'd like to post the lyrics to a hymn or song that I'm finding particularly meaningful. I'll bold the lyrics that I find especially penetrating, challenging, or encouraging. Perhaps you'll enjoy it, perhaps not, but it will give me the opportunity to further mull and meditate on these lyrics I have now sung for decades.

Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.
~Ephesians 5:19


The first lyrics I'll share are from one of my favorites:

Fairest Lord Jesus! Ruler of all nature!
O Thou of God and man the Son!
Thee will I cherish, Thee will I honor,
Thou, my soul’s glory, joy, and crown!

Fair are the meadows, Fairer still the woodlands,
Robed in the blooming garb of spring:
Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer,
Who makes the woeful heart to sing.

Fair is the sunshine, Fairer still the moonlight,
And all the twinkling starry host:
Jesus shines brighter, Jesus shines purer,
Than all the angels heav’n can boast.

Beautiful Saviour! Lord of the nations!
Son of God and Son of Man!
Glory and honor, Praise, adoration,
Now and forevermore be Thine!

Confession?

When I was an R.A. in college, I used to steal away into the dorm stairwell at times when I knew most people were out of the dorms and sing hymns and revel in the rich echo found there. This was the one hymn that I always, always sang in those private stairwell sings. I am so thankful for Jesus... who He is, what He did, and how He still intercedes and loves me. He is a treasure, and so worthy of glory, honor, praise, and adoration.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...