Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, March 11, 2012

DIY Personalized Wood Sign

Pin It

I wanted a creative way to display my son's name letters in his new room. So I came up with a fun wood sign. I love the way it turned out!!




Let me show you how to do this simple DIY personalized wood sign!

First you need a piece of wood. Mine is 4 feet long (1x10), but you can use any length and width you want.  Then I found some very cool scrapbook paper at Hobby Lobby that looked like chippy peeling paint.


I cut the papers down to equally to cover the length and width of the piece of wood.
I then mod podged the papers down on the wood.
Make sure not to use too much glue or it will make the paper bubble.


Don't worry about cutting the paper so neat and straight. The edges will be covered with trim pieces.
While the glue dried, I put heavy books on top of the paper to prevent any bubbles.


I then cut pieces of lathe to go around the edges of the wood and in between each piece of paper. I stained the lathe pieces with MinWax Early American Stain. I also stained the sides of the wood board as well. I attached the lathe with nails from a nail gun.


I already had these letters from Hobby Lobby that I painted black, distressed and stained. We had these displayed in my son's old room just by adding sawtooth hangers on the back. I didn't want these go to waste, so I used these for his new sign.

If you don't want to use wood letters, then you can easily stencil letters directly on the the paper or use vinyl letters from your Cricut or Sillhouette.


 I nailed each letter on each section with nails from a nail gun.

Now my son has a fun sign for his new room that is colorful and a little rustic (for mom's taste).



Here is the close up of the 'wood' paper. When I showed my hubby the finished sign he asked where I got the old wood at. :) He was surprised it was only scrapbook paper!


Here's the breakdown of the costs:

4 foot 1x10 wood board: $3.50

5 pieces of scrapbook paper at 36 cents each: $1.80

Wood Lathe: Free-Had on hand
You can buy a bundle of wood lathe for around $7 or $8. It will last you forever! I used it for a lot of projects!

Wood letters: Free-Already Had

Total: $5.30!


Another fun and easy project! And most importantly, I have a very satisfied customer. :)



Linking up HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...